Book #038 - a Highly Experimental...Experiment

book detail side detail spine
Also highly pink. It just happened that way.

This all started because I had a cereal box, a raisin box and another cereal box that nested just perfectly and I thought it would be cool if I could find enough of the right sized boxes to make a whole book that way. And I might still, with 327 days left in the year. But I did (and still do) have a whole lot of identical pieces of cardboard - hot pink glossy on one side - left over from a previous life, and they're already scored for folding in one place. And I have a LOT of them. Sooooo...

I decided to try out the idea using the hot pink cardboard. It was instructive, as an experiment. Cutting 16 pieces all exactly the right size (2.5 mm smaller each side, each time) was a challenge, as you can easily see in the photos. When I got to the end the original binding idea was obviously not going to work. I tossed around a few ideas and settled on cable ties: two biggish ones to hold the pages together, and two more tiny ones to hold the ends of the biggish ones together. They are easily enough removed if I get a better idea down the road.

I have mixed feelings about this book. It was interesting, but I don't really like it all that well. It's not a lot of fun to put together - far too little room for error to suit me - and the results are...meh. It's heavy, too. But one of these days (like maybe next October) it will dawn on me why this book needs to exist, and then it will become one of my favorites. I'll betcha.

No comments: