3/16/09

Book #075 - Palm Leaf experiment

Sorry about the lateness of this post. I haven't had much time on the computer in the last 48 hours...too much other stuff going on, with sickness in the family and such.

palm leaf book
palm leaf book
Today's book is a quick study in an old form that had its origins in South and Southeast Asia. As I tried to do a little research on palm leaf books, I discovered that a little won't do...there is so much to be said and described and admired in these books.

As the name indicates, the pages of these books are traditionally made of sections of palm leaves. Covers, when there were covers, were typically wood, bamboo or ivory. They were often elaborately carved and decorated, sometimes encrusted with jewels. My version is made from the things I have at hand: recycled cardboard and fabric.

Here are a couple of images of genuine old palm leaf books. Amazing, don't you think?

1 comment:

Lena said...

It is an interesting idea.

I hope that everyone is ok. Let me know if you need a hand. I'm always available for you and yours, but then, you know that.